Berry Kale Salad – kale salad with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, goat cheese, candied walnuts, and a straightforward balsamic vinaigrette. This salad is excellent for summer!
I adore a good kale salad. My favorite dish is a straightforward kale salad, but I really enjoy switching things up. Examples are my kale and wild rice salad, roasted grape farro kale salad, and sweet potato black bean kale salad.
During the summer months, when berries are in season, I also adore this Berry Kale Salad. There are strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries in the kale salad. Please pass the fruit!
In addition, I add goat cheese (feta may be substituted), crunchy, sweet candied walnuts, and red onion. Using my homemade balsamic vinaigrette, you can create the PERFECT summer salad.
This salad is ideal for the Fourth of July, Labor Day, picnics, cookouts, bridal and baby showers, and any other occasion! The tastes are vibrant, savory, and incredibly tasty!
- Kale– you can use curly kale or lacinato kale. Wash and chop up the kale really well so it isn’t tough.
- Berries– strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries! Use the ripest, juiciest berries you can find.
- Candied pecans– I like to make my own candied pecans, I promise they are easy, but store-bought is fine too. You can also use regular pecans or almonds.
- Goat cheese– if you don’t like goat cheese, feta is great too.
- Red onion– thinly sliced.
- Fresh mint– for garnish! Optional, but so pretty and fresh.
With this salad, my own balsamic vinaigrette is delicious. It is simple to prepare and can be stored in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
In a small bowl or jar, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper to prepare the dressing. Set aside.
How to Make Berry Kale Salad
- Remove the kale stems first. Compress the top of the kale stem and glide your hand carefully down the stem. The leafy portion of the kale will fall off as you descend. Use a sharp knife to cut the kale coarsely.
- The kale is placed in a big bowl. Drizzle the kale with a small amount of olive oil, as you will be adding a dressing to the salad. Sprinkle with a small amount of kosher salt and massage the kale with clean fingertips until it softens slightly.
- Drizzle the dressing over the kale and combine thoroughly. Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, candied walnuts, goat cheese, and red onion should be added to the salad. Gently toss and, if desired, garnish with fresh mint. Serve.
How to Store
After dressing and tossing the salad, it is ideal to consume it on the same day.
If you like to prepare the salad ahead of time, you can do a few things in advance.
- Make the dressing and store it for up to one week in the refrigerator.
- The candied pecans can be stored for up to one month in an airtight jar or container.
- Prepare and cut the kale in advance; simply store it in an airtight container or paper towel-lined bag to maintain its freshness.
For the dressing:
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 2 bunches of kale, washed
- Drizzle olive oil
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup blackberries
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup candied pecans
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, can use feta
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh mint, for garnish, optional
|Vegetarian Tofu Soup||Click Here|